Research Methods In Dissertation Writing: A Comprehensive Tutorial

Without doubt the research process is possibly one of the most important components of the dissertation paper. Many experts claim that the research is 80% of the work while the writing is the remaining 20%. Whether that’s true or not doesn’t matter; in reality you really need to be prepared and confident in methods before you begin. For a comprehensive tutorial, keep reading.

Working from an outline is perhaps no more important anywhere else than it is now, in your dissertation paper. Working from a logical and organized plan really saves time in the long run and helps you stay on track and focused on what comes next in your writing. The outline is created as you go along in the research.

  1. Stick to solid sources. Don’t waste any of your precious time on sources that are questionable or not verifiable. This isn’t worth your time nor your efforts. Make sure the background materials you want to use are trustworthy and credible.

  2. Too many sources, especially if they are not relevant, can make your paper seem disjointed and inconsistent. Instead, make sure you only use those that can be verified. You may use the same valuable source several times throughout your paper.

  3. Remember you are trying to prove yourself as being an expert in the field of studies you are in. For this reason you would never stoop to using documents that don’t have value or relevancy. Keep the bar high and meet or exceed your review committee’s expectations and requirements.

  4. Include well-organized, detailed and legitimate support material in order to be taken seriously as knowing what you are talking about. Your success in your dissertation journey relies on this point.

  5. Remember that a study can explore an area within your field that’s been neglected or under-researched, or it can extend a study that was conducted previously, or it can be a comprehensive review of current knowledge, pointing out where future studies should take place. It may address a question or issue, or suggest a new way of solving an old problem. Decide which type of study your dissertation will take the shape of.

  6. You may need to revise your question or problem at some point in time. It depends on what the results of your search are. If part of your problem has no background material to back it up, it may be difficult to form a study around it or write a literature review on it.

© All rights reserved. | Useful Directions for Dissertation writers